This morning I visited Ayugaerinotaki here in Mitoyo, Kagawa.  It's a twenty-minute drive that's well worth the trip.

After pulling up, it's a nice 5-minute walk from the car park up a little bit of a hill and then down to the stream on a wonderful old rock pathway. 

Just rolling up to a place, pulling out the camera, then shooting away without thinking really hasn't been working for me lately. I realized that I've not been making the most of my chances when I've been out shooting and that's why I haven't been happy with what I've been capturing of late.  I've been lazy. 

Sometimes I forget that this "hobby" takes a lot of work to get the joy of nailing an image.

This morning I purposely slowed down and tried to capture images that I would be really happy with.


I pulled out the ColorChecker Passport and set the custom white balance on my camera.  Then I made sure to take photos of the color swatches whenever the light changed (I was lucky and it didn't change the entire time I was there)

It's amazing how these small steps can change the editing process.  I didn't have to hunt for the white balance or wonder if the greens were too green. This 10-minute process, while out in the field, saved me a heap of time and guesswork in editing.


There wasn't much water flowing here as some of the images I've seen online show that there is a lot more water flowing.  I'll have to wait for it to rain and then come back!


I'm now hoping that it rains soon as I can't wait to get back to this place when there's more water!

No comments: